• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father passed away with no Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EJasso1987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in California, my father lived in Kentucky.

My father passed away March 2013. He had no will, was not married and I am his only child. Who has the right to keep his belongings? I received a call from the Funeral home and was asked to pick up his things but I let them know I was in California and that his sister would have to pick them up. I told her she may collect those belongings if she mails them to me, which she hasn't done yet. My father had a girlfriend that he lived with and I asked her to pack up a small box of things that she thought my father would want me to have along with a hand-written letter to me from him. My aunt (my father's sister) was asked to pick up those items and send them to me, she agreed. It has been five months and she has not sent any of his belongings to me and she has not responded to any of my calls. Do I have the right to these items? If so, how do I get them?

Other Info: My father didn't own a home, owned a car (which his GF has), had a bank account with only a few cents as far as I know, He was divorced from my mother about 13 years ago.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">