• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father passed away without a will. But has a property in South Korea (PLEASE READ)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hbass

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My father passed away in 2008 and he was a military contractor in South Korea for almost 20 years.
He is originally from Tennessee.

My father had a house in Korea under his name and my mother (who is South Korean) is trying to claim the property but Korean City Hall is asking for Intestate Form from Tennessee.

My question is this.
1: He resided in South Korea for almost 20 years so why does my mother have to obtain the Intestate paper work from Tennessee? He was just born there not living there.
2: Can my mother go to the US Army base or US Embassy and take care of this issue of getting the property into her or my name? I am the Son. And I have a minor sister.
3: If I HAVE to go through obtaining Intestate paper work, how would I do it and how much does it usually cost?

I would appreciate any questions or comments.

Thank you very much

Sean

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The United States has no jurisdiction over a non resident(someone not living here) or property in another country.

OHRoadwarrior

The United States has no jurisdiction over a non resident(someone not living here) or property in another country.
However, a foreign court could use documentation from the deceased property owners home residence as evidence in enforcing its own laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">