• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father's death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dibarb

What is the name of your state? NJ

Father passed away last month. He lived and passed in Summerville, SC. He owned a home, boat and other personal property. I am the oldest of 3 of his surviving children. I was told he had a will and had an attorney. 2 questions I have, Will the attorney contact me about any inheritance I may be entitled to? and how can I get a copy of the will.

Thx in advance.

dibarb

H

hexeliebe

Answer one: Yes, unless you contact him first.

Answer two: Yes, either from the attorney or from the recorder's office in the county where he died once it is probated and the will is entered into the "Will Book".

Dandy Don

Normally the will is supposed to be filed within 30 days after the death. Summerville, SC is considered as being located in 2 counties: Richland County and Dorchester County.

The Richland County Probate Estates Division (in Columbia, SC) phone number is (803) 576-1961. The Dorchester County Probate Court phone number is (843) 832-0105. You will need to call both offices to see which one, if any, the particular will you are interested in is located.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA

D

dibarb

Thanks, contacted Probate Office, received copy of will yesterday.

D

dibarb

Now that I have a copy of the will. I have questions.

1. What happens now, will states 85% of all financial accounts be divided between siblings.

2. Is PR responsible to distribute monies.

3. How long does this process usually take.

4. Am I entitled to review any financial accounts either before or after distribution.

5. Does the Probate Court enforce that the will is carried out as stated.

Thanks for any input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">