• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Blondguy81

What is the name of your state?Ohio Recently my father passed away, I'am the oldest son, my mother has been separated from my father for over 20yrs, she says she never agreed to a divorce for religous reasons. Anyways the next day after my father died, my mother came around with this form for me to sign and my other brothers, no explanation on form, my mom said it was needed to grant her authority to get the money out of my dad's bank account to pay for the funeral. Obviously she is deceiveing me and my brothers out of any of my fathers assets, my father had a life insurance policy, retirement, money in the bank. Is she entitled to be the administrator because she still has the marriage license even though they been separated all that time. Do me and my brothers have any say in these matters, should I seek out a probate lawyer, or am i just wasteing my time???

K

krispenstpeter

And did you sign the form?

You forgot that little piece of information.

B

Blondguy81

Blondguy81 said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio Recently my father passed away, I'am the oldest son, my mother has been separated from my father for over 20yrs, she says she never agreed to a divorce for religous reasons. Anyways the next day after my father died, my mother came around with this form for me to sign and my other brothers, no explanation on form, my mom said it was needed to grant her authority to get the money out of my dad's bank account to pay for the funeral. Obviously she is deceiveing me and my brothers out of any of my fathers assets, my father had a life insurance policy, retirement, money in the bank. Is she entitled to be the administrator because she still has the marriage license even though they been separated all that time. Do me and my brothers have any say in these matters, should I seek out a probate lawyer, or am i just wasteing my time???
Unfortunately yes, all of my brothers and me signed, obviously I was'nt aware of what I was signing, and just thought it was access to grant money for the funeral, Do me and my brothers have any rights on my dad's assets, Mother has already sold all of my dad's belongings out of his house. My main concern was his truck my dad would have wanted me to have it . because I have no vehicle right now. I told my mother this and she said she was going to sell it. The greed has set in on her, I just don't beleive this is the way my father would have wanted things to go, too bad he never had is will drawed up. On the life insurance issue. does'nt a benificier have to be listed when a life insurance policy is drawed up.?? what you think i should do if anything??

K

krispenstpeter

The life insurance policy does not go to his estate but to the listed benificiary. So that is your first task, to find out who the beneficiary was.

The second thing you need to do, since momma bear has already started selling things is to march your butt to a probate attorney tomorrow morning because this is going to get ugly real fast.

Depending on what dad's assets were (i.e., home, land, vehicles, savings) you could be in for a fight. But, at the minimum, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING MORE FROM MOM!!!!!

And go see an attorney NOW!

Dandy Don

You haven't even mentioned what the title was of the form that you signed--go to the county courthouse probate court and see if it is filed there and get a copy. It's okay for her to be administrator but you might benefit from an attorney's advice to protect your interests if you can afford one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">