• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fathers estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LGenesis

I live in Indiana. My father lived in Illinois. He passed 10-21-94. I thought he had left a will, but, after calling the county courthouse, learned nothing was filed in probate. His second wife, not my mother, still lives there, I think, and she had four children from a previous marriage. I am his only blood child. Can I still file a claim against the estate? email me at [email protected], please.

Last edited:

ALawyer

You can go into court and seek to be appointed administrator of his estate. BUT if the property was in joint tenancy and there were no other assets of value, what would you be getting? And why did you wait 7 years?

L

LGenesis

Father's estate

A friend told me to check this out. His father's estate took 10 years to process due to many marriages. This was my father's second marriage. He abandoned my mother and I and took all of the money I was saving for college. I thought I might recoup something now that the old boy is dead. I feel it is something owed.

dmode101

Like ALAWYER said, if he owned no assets titled in his sole name, then your ftaher had no estate to for you to have any claim to. Try to determine if there are any assets out there in his sole name. You might check Illinois' unclaimed property website at www.cashdash.net. Good luck.

L

LGenesis

Father's Estate

Thank you for your assistance. Saved me a bunch of money I don't have to chase the wild goose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">