• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's girlfriend shows true colors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kakampers@comca

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

My father passed away two weeks ago. He lived with a woman for seven years, following my mother's death. I really thought this woman cared for him until he died; within an hour and a half of his death she handed me a will he had made out in September 04, leaving her all his household belongings, his brand new, paid for car, and $10,000. He did not stipulate where this money was to come from.

Here's the catch...both his banks accounts, unknown to the girlfriend, had my sister as sole beneficiary, the life insurance has both me and my sister as beneficiaries, and an annuity naming me as sole beneficiary. None of these become part of his estate...right?

The only items owned by him only are his car, the household belongings which are worth less than $1,500, and approximately $2,500 in checks he hadn't deposited. I am in the process of filing the will in probate which names me executor...can I sell the car to cover the $12,000 in expenses and debts? Do I have to give her what is left?

Also, she was named executor if I couldn't or wouldn't serve...can she do anything once I've agreed to be executor to take it over instead of me?

HELP!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">