• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pearl72

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi. My father passed away 2 1/2 years ago, and I have requested to see my father's will a few times since, and have been denied by my mother in seeing this. Although I know that I had 2 sisters and a brother view it, by Mother allowing them to see it. My mother states that I have no rights to view it, and "if" my father had left me anything, she had the right to put it into a trust so that I was not able to get it for whatever reason (she feels I would just splinder it away or whatever). I am and adult, and was just wondering, 1. Was my mother able to put whatever was left to me in a "trust" and she had a say on how it was dealt with ?
2. Don't I have a right to view my father's will ? If so, how do i go about telling her that it is my legal right to view this ?
3. If there was something left for me, and she was to dispurse it to the 9 kids he left behind...can she be held in contempt or anything?

Just need to know where to go, or how to start -- just needing some guidance. Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

If you know in what county your father died (and I sure hope you do) then call or visit the probate court (located usually in the county courthouse) and ask for a copy of the probate file.

If probate never was filed, then mommie is in for a world of hurt.

Dandy Don

You also need to be talking to a trust attorney to find out if Colorado allows a trust beneficiary to request a copy of the trust and an accounting statement for the trust by sending a certified letter to the trustee. If it permits that, then you should ask one of your siblings to order a copy and let you see it, or if they won't cooperate, get an attorney to write your letter on your behalf.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">