• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

don braunstein

My wife's father has just died. She is a named beneficiary in his will, but we do not have a copy of the will. How can we get a copy? He lived in Broward County, FL. We live in Arizona.

Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

What do you mean by, "how do we get a copy?"

If you don't know, how are we to know? You haven't even given us the situation in Broward to really understand what's going on, besides the fact that your father-in-law is dead.

IAAL

F

FKNA

IAAL.....I see you're being an a$$hole once again. It really is a crying shame, because when you are NOT being a jerk you do have some valuable information to give out. Too bad you can't bat 100%.

Don....once it goes through probate it will be a matter of public record. Once that happens, I do believe you can contact the county in order to get the info that you need. Or you may have to research the records themselve. Being that I'm NOT a lawyer, I'd say a good starting point would be to contact of public records to see what you need to do....Or, if you could contact other close family members to get a copy of the will. When the will goes through probate, if the lawyers aren't corrupt and you are named in the will, you should be contacted one way or another.

A

advisor10

12-1-2001

DEAR DON:

You can contact the Broward County Clerk of the Court's Office at (954) 765-4482 to find out if it has been filed yet and get the case number if it has been filed. Broward County has a website (www.co.broward.fl.us) but I didn't find it very helpful in locating probate court information.

However, you should know that it is probably a little bit too soon for it to be filed with the court. It usually is filed within 30 days after the person's death, and the executor may be too busy taking care of other estate matters and may not have gotten around to filing it yet, but at least you will know whom to contact. You may want to contact other friends or relatives or any other beneficiaries to see if they have any information if you don't know who the estate executor is, yet.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

D

don braunstein

Dear knort and FKNA

THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE SUPPORT AND HELPFUL INFORMATION. IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED.

DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">