• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal and state estate taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FBN2007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

If a person makes a gift over $13,000 to another person and then dies within 3 years, will the amount of the gift be included back in the estate and possibly be subject to federal and Massachusetts estate taxes? The gifted assets are in a revocable trust if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

anteater

There might be a medicaid look-back problem, but the tax issue is the relation-back doctrine.

See:
The Relation-Back Doctrine Revisited
38 F3d 118 Metzger v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue | OpenJurist
Whoa, Tranq... really getting down into the weeds there. I think the OP was about 10 levels up from the relation-back doctrine.

I'd would answer this way: for the Feds, yeah, I guess that you could look at is the reportable gifts being added back. I have not paid attention to that part of Form 706 lately, but I believe that the reportable gifts are actually added back and then any gift taxes actually paid deducted. Usually, we talk about reportable gifts reducing the exclusion amount. But it all kind of works out the same.

With the Feds, at least, the 3 years mentioned is probably a reference to certain transfers being made within 3 years of death. The one that most often gets caught in that net is the transfer of life insurance policy ownership.

Don't know enough about MA estate tax to say much, except that I know there is no separate gift tax. I cam across this that might be helpful. And besides who can resist pointing to you something from Houlihan and Muldoon, Attorneys at Law. :)

http://www.houlihanmuldoon.com/HM_MA_Estate_Tax_Article.pdf

Last edited:

FBN2007

Hmm, I saw this in another internet article:

How Does Estate Tax Law Treat Gifts Made Within Three Years Of Death?
When a person gives away his/her interest or relinquishes his/her control over his/her property without adequate consideration (i.e. money) within three years before the date of his/her death, then estate taxes will generally be imposed on transferred/relinquished property even though the person making the gift does not own or control the property at his/her death.

In order for this rule to apply, the transferred/relinquished property must be subject to the estate tax had the gift not been made. Thus, if you make a gift within three years of death that is exempt from tax because it does not exceed the annual gift tax exclusion amount ($11,000 for 2004), then such a gift will not be pull back into the calculation of your estate taxes.

For example: P makes a gift of $5,000 to B on May 1, 2004. P dies on May 1, 2005. Since the gift was excluded from tax when it was made (less than the $11,000 annual exclusion amount), that $5,000 will not be included in the amount of assets P owns at death.

Are There Any Exceptions To The Three Year Rule?
There is an exception to this rule involving the use of a revocable trust. A revocable trust is a trust in which the person who made the trust retains the power to control the assets of the trust. Generally for estate tax purposes, the person making the revocable trust needs to pay estate taxes on the assets of the trust if he/she continues to control the trust until he/she dies.

The three year rule does not apply if the grantor (maker) of the revocable trust makes a gift of the trust assets to another person. The gift will not be pulled back into the calculation of the estate tax of the grantor even if it is made within three years of his/her death.

Since the gifted assets that I was referring to came from the revocable trust's assets then I thought that the 3 year rule would not apply.

FBN2007

1.4 million. I know there is no federal estate tax but the MA estate tax exemption is 1 million so I want to see if gifting right before death may be an option to get the estate below 1 million.

anteater

So, the talk of "federal" was just misdirection, eh?

Did you read the document that I pointed you to?

Or, perhaps...

http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/managingyourmoney/archives/2011/02/estate_planning.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">