• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final distribution of estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mikkey

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My dad passed away almost 7 months ago. I am executor. There are only two remaining accounts to be distributed. A bank account of approx $6000 to my step mom (to be reduced by approx $1,000 of deductions for medical payments), and a savings account of $58,000 to my 2 sisters and myself (to be reduced by approximately $3,000 of shared final expense costs).
1) Should all beneficiaries be together for the distribution or can I meet with my step mom alone or with one or both sisters? There is no hanky panky going on - just for convenience. I am inviting my step mom's daughter to be present to ease my step mom's concern's (if she has any).

2) Should all beneficiaries see what the others are getting, or only an accounting for what pertains to them? For example, should my step mom be given an accounting for the $58,000 account willed to my sisters and I? Should my sisters receive an accounting for the $6,000 willed to my step mom?

Dandy Don

There is no need for the other beneficiaries to know what anyone else has gotten--that is the quickest way to start bad feelings amongst those who rightly or wrongly feel they should have gotten more. You don't even need to "meet" with the beneficiaries to make a distribution--all you need to do is to write and mail them their checks (by certified mail) or give it to them in person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">