• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Will advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wilson56

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Long story short, I'm looking at the end of my life before my eyes. My liver is starting to fail and I've decided it's time to start doing some planning in case I can't pull through. Anyone have any advice with writing a final will? I don't have money to take care of this with lawyer but I've read that in Kentucky the final will just needs to be wholly handwritten and signed by the soon to be deceased to be legally binding. So that being said if I'm correct I'm just thinking of what all I need to write and put into it. I have an idea, I'm just not exactly sure. This is a lot for a 20 year old to be thinking about but I don't want to leave my family and loved ones dealing with all of this. I'd rather get it taken care of myself.

commentator

Sorry to hear about your impending demise. A very cursory google of holographic wills in your state should answer your basic questions about handwritten wills. However, if you do not have enough money to spend a small bit of it discussing these issues with an attorney, it is probable that you do not have a big estate to worry about. It may be that you simply wish to make some sort of statement with such a document.

Hopefully, you are on good terms with your friends and family members and would be wishing them goodbye and passing on good thoughts as well as your material possessions to them. If you aren't, I think I'd concentrate on this aspect of my limited time left here. Make sure that if you have assets such as property, you are clear about whom you want to have it. A few dollars to an attorney isn't excessive, and could save a lot of trouble and complication for your heirs.

If you did die intestate, then your estate would be divided according to the intestacy laws of your state. Remember that your final expenses must be covered before any other division of assets can happen.

A very productive thing that you could be doing at the present time is making sure that you have enough assets to pay for at least a cremation or some other type of final services and disposal of your remains. Burial insurance perhaps? A pre-paid final arrangements package? That is a very merciful thing to do for your heirs. Then you take the proper steps to make sure that whomever you want to give your things to will receive them on the occasion of your death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">