• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bertie51

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a distant relative who is 90 years old, is currently in the hospital, on a ventilator and of course in and out consciousness. Plans are to eventually wean him off once the physician deems his condition is improving. He has an elderly wife who is concerned about the mounting bills and other financial burdens/responsibilities. She (my aunt) wants to assign my cousin (her son in law) as attorney in fact to take care of these issues. However doesn't the patient (my uncle) need to be conscious and know what's going on before he can sign a financial power of attorney and assign someone to take care of business? Can his wife (my aunt) sign this financial power of attorney? At this point I have not had the courage to ask if they both have a joint checking/savings account (if that makes any difference in this situation) so that she can deposit I am assuming his pension/social security checks etc. Please advise and my family is devastated. Thanks!:D

P

Pfaffing85690

Until a legal guardian is appointed for your relative, NO ONE can sign anything in his place. If you are concerned about his welfare, contact an attorney to petition the court to appoint a guardian ad litem who will be tasked with protecting his rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">