• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding a Last Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EmNAll

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

I am trying to locate a will of my grandmother. She died (MI) 15 years ago, but swore on her deathbed she had a will. No one can find it, at home or in bank vaults, so wondering about tracking one down. Do states (like MI) require a will to be witnessed and notarized? If so, shouldn't someone somewhere (who notarized it back in the late 80's) have record of this? I know they might not have a copy of the actual will, but maybe at least someone can confirm one was done. How do I go about tracking down if a will exists, and/or if there's a copy somewhere with the courts or an attorney? I don't want to hire someone to start digging, b/c I don't want to start the probate ball rolling if it means evicting my aunts that currently share one of the residences (though they're likely the ones who'll inherit it anyway). Thanks for any info at all. Web searches only bring up asset investigators, which won't truly help here.

Dandy Don

If one hasn't turned out by now, it is not very likely to.

You need to check at the county courthouse to see if anything has been done regarding to probating her estate. If not, and she still has assets, then you or an attorney you hire can get probate opened up.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">