• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First and Final Account of a deceased' estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

facialex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Thanks for all your help. I will try to restate my question.

A couple lives in MA, their martial home which they both live in and ownership is in both their names, also they are tenants by entirety. The husband dies in 2003. However, there is real estate taxes due on the house they own together for FYE 2002 due at death and overdue personal State & Ferderal taxes filed jointly together due since 2001. When filing a First and Final Account on the husdand's estate, is the husband's estate responsible for the unpaid taxes or is the surving spouse responsible for the unpaid taxes.

Hope this clears up my question, thanks in advance

curb1

The answer: "the surving spouse (is) responsible for the unpaid taxes".

Is there someone in disagreement?

ShyCat

The answer: "the surving spouse (is) responsible for the unpaid taxes".

Is there someone in disagreement?

Not here. I'm guessing that someone thinks they can dodge responsibility by pinning this on an insolvent estate. Otherwise, what's the point? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">