• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Trust 5% rule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaywil

My mother has a living trust in Florida. She and my father each had a trust but he is deceased and she is trustee now. We understand she can only spend up to 5% of the trust value per year. Is that correct? And what happens if she spent more than that? Recently we think she spent more than 5% but for legitimate expenses - moving costs (a down payment on a preleasing agreement - she is moving to an independent living facility in an over 55 retirement community). My brother is worried because this downpayment may be over 5% of the trust worth and he is worried the trust will now be nullified. Also she wrote a check on the trust account for some tree trimming - getting her current home ready to be rented once she moves. We are wondering if this 5% includes both trusts (which would include family home, stock portfolio, and money market account in which case she'd be ok)? Or would this 5% pertain only to her part of the trust? Thanks

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

We understand she can only spend up to 5% of the trust value per year.

What does the written trust agreement say about this situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">