• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foreign inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jseber1982

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I just posted to the tax forum, but for some reason my post shows up as the only one, yet it says there are over 5kposts..... so sorry for the double post.

My uncle died approx 10 years ago and my parents said that he left me some money over in switzerland. I was only 16 at the time, i didnt pay much attention to it. I am 26 now. He was a US citizen living in the US. All of the money that our family has, has been passed down generation to generation staying in swiss accounts from WW1. I just went over this year to do some paperwork on it, turns out i have $300,000 in stocks in swiss banks. My parents have been bringing me money back each year for the past 3 years.. like 30k a year, so i have sorta known about it, but i did not know any details or how much i had until now.

And of course they have never paid 1 cent of taxes on any of it, none of my family. Also it turns out that our family had a secrecy clause in it that has all paperwork destroyed. So i wont have any record on how much the stock was purchased for to calculate capital gain.I want to somehow wire transfer it over or something like that, the legal way. The bankers over there were making me feel guilty saying that once i tell the irs, the irs will go after my entire family pretty much.

If i have to pay back taxes on it, i dont care, even if i loose over 60% of it....it is now just a burden on my wife and I's relationship and i dont want to get in trouble with the irs and mess my life up. Of all the money that they brough back for me, only like 25k of it made it into the bank, so i am assuming that i should be smart and file back taxes on that

I am just worried that i have gotten so deep into it that there is no way out that wont put me in the hole.

And now the irs is getting into the ubs bank, which is where it is... So the money was dropped on me when i was too young to care, and now i need to hurry up and do something about it before the irs finds out and accuses me.... even though i have plans to do it the legal way

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,

Last edited:

ShyCat

Yes, I did. You're getting answers on your original post which was in the proper forum for your particular issue. No reason for a duplicate here in this forum.

Dandy Don

And what do your parents say when you discuss this with them?

If you know the city in Switzerland where he died, contact the inheritance court there and ask for copies of his file or get it from the United States in whatever county probate court represents the city where he died, so you can find out who is trustee (probably your parents) and how the estate was handled.

If you know the bank that is holding the funds, contact the bank directly for more information.

You don't need to be worried about the IRS "going after" your parents--it is just as you stated, if you owe any back taxes on the money you can take care of it at the proper time. The only concern that the IRS has is if they are being properly notified of any monies that are being sent to the US.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please keep this in the original thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=417796

(That means you too, Don ;) )

Dandy Don

The more responses the merrier!! Never hurts to get lots of opinions!!

Please explain exactly what country the man died in (US or Switzerland).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">