• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found out later I was entitled to half estate, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candimax25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My grandmother died in Feb. 1990. according to the intestate laws at the time, my grandmothers protion of the estate would have gone to my father, but he predeceased her...therefore her estate would have passed to me. My grandfather passed in late 2000. When his will was probated and divided by the executor they did so as though he had gotten my grandmother's portion of the estate. They sold the house and divided it into quarters according to his will....if my math is correct I should have gotten at least 5/8th's of the money from selling the house instead of 1/4th.

All of this just came to my attention this year. Is there anything I can do to try and reclaim or contest what has happened?

Thanks so much!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My grandmother died in Feb. 1990. according to the intestate laws at the time, my grandmothers protion of the estate would have gone to my father, but he predeceased her...therefore her estate would have passed to me. My grandfather passed in late 2000. When his will was probated and divided by the executor they did so as though he had gotten my grandmother's portion of the estate. They sold the house and divided it into quarters according to his will....if my math is correct I should have gotten at least 5/8th's of the money from selling the house instead of 1/4th.

All of this just came to my attention this year. Is there anything I can do to try and reclaim or contest what has happened?

Thanks so much!

**A: you can have an estate attorney review the paperwork and render an opinion.

Kiawah

Depending how each of the assets were originally titled, your grandfather could have become the 100% legitimate owner of those assets.

For instance, google:

joint tenancy with right of survivorship

nextwife

Depending how each of the assets were originally titled, your grandfather could have become the 100% legitimate owner of those assets.

For instance, google:

joint tenancy with right of survivorship
Agreed. And highly likely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">