• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

funding a trust account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liz888

I am considering setting up a trust . Can I put all my bank accounts, funds, stocks, etc in a trust account? Or, is it only used for real assets?

And, if it is possible to add the accounts will it be necessary to use forms, other than the 1040s every April?

Thanks Liz

FlyingRon

You can put anything that has an owner into a trust.
Whether you should or not depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
My stocks are all in the trust.

curb1

All of my assets are in a trust, but I have had second thoughts about doing that. My current feeling is that in many cases (perhaps most) it is better to keep bank accounts and brokerage accounts separate and have them in TOD (Transfer on Death) accounts. The TOD accounts bypass probate the same as a trust and seem to be much cleaner in many situations.

You would still use the IRS Form 1040 for your personal assets that are yours in the trust.

Last edited:

liz888

Since I am hoping to avoid some taxes, I was thinking that it would be better to put the banks accounts, etc in the trust.
We currently have them as PODs on each account. As I understand it, they would not be included in probate, but would be considered income to the surviving person and therefore, it would be necessary to pay the additional income taxes during the next tax year.

But, if they were put into a trust, taxes would not be paid as either estate or income. Am I incorrect in my thinking?

Liz

curb1

Yes, you are incorrect.

You said, "would be considered income to the surviving person and therefore, it would be necessary to pay the additional income taxes during the next tax year".

LdiJ

Since I am hoping to avoid some taxes, I was thinking that it would be better to put the banks accounts, etc in the trust.
We currently have them as PODs on each account. As I understand it, they would not be included in probate, but would be considered income to the surviving person and therefore, it would be necessary to pay the additional income taxes during the next tax year.

But, if they were put into a trust, taxes would not be paid as either estate or income. Am I incorrect in my thinking?

Liz
I am a tax professional and I think that you are completely misinformed as to what would be taxable, and completely misinformed as to what a trust can or could do.

I think that it would be in your best interest to get a consult with a tax professional to talk about all of this, and to get a clearer picture, based on the details, of what might or might not be taxable.

For example, unless your estate is HUGE, estate taxes are likely not an issue for you. If your estate was huge enough that estate taxes would be an issue, its unlikely that you would be seeking advice from an internet forum.

Bank accounts that pass to a beneficiary would rarely result in any tax, other than the normal tax on interest earned after the passing of the decedent. Retirement accounts could result in tax, but only if the beneficiary chose not to roll the retirement account into a retirement account of their own. Stock accounts could result in tax, but only if the stocks are sold....etc.

Please get yourself a consult with a tax professional.

anteater

Retirement accounts could result in tax, but only if the beneficiary chose not to roll the retirement account into a retirement account of their own.
LdiJ - You really need to be careful. There are different options available for spousal and non-spouse beneficiaries. A non-spouse beneficiary cannot roll the account into "a retirement account of their own."

Now, you may be assuming that readers understand that you are speaking of re-titling/rolling to an inherited/beneficiary IRA for a non-spouse beneficiary. But there are some who may take that to literally mean their own account, like, say, "The Anteater IRA" or "LdiJ's IRA."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">