• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a copy of a trust agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have reason to believe I am a beneficiary of a MA grantor revocable trust. The grantor/trustee just died on 5/26/09. How long should it take for the successor trustee to contact me to let me know I am a bene? Last week, I sent the successor trustee an email asking about the status and he has not responded. If he persists in not responding, how do I go about getting a copy of the trust for myself?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

Talk to a local trust attorney and find out if your state law allows you to ask for a copy of the trust by sending the trustee a CERTIFIED LETTER or not.

nanc

Thank you for your answer. If it turns out a cert. letter is the way to go, does it typically have to be sent within a certain timeframe; e.g., within 60 days of the date of death? I'm a resident of NJ and have seen some MA attorney's give free phone consultation. Can you give insight into how that would work? Would I call to get free consultation re the certified letter or could I go into whole story of key players, dates, facts, etc. I'm getting nervous about timeframe if 60 days has any relevance because that would be today.
Thanks for helping.

Dandy Don

There is no time frame for you as a beneficiary; the trustee is probably lax in that he did not notify YOU at all. Time frames are not relevant. Just get the attorney to do this on your behalf so the trustee will know you are serious and that he won't be able to blow you off in the future about matters that you are entitled to know about.

DANDY DON IN OKAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">