• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a letter from probate court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MommyElayne

I just inherited my father's 1986 Toyota. He lived in NY state and I am trying to register it in CT. I am his sole heir and executrix of his estate. Even with all that and the title, DMV in CT wants a letter from NY state probate court. How do I do this without hiring an attorney?

Thanks!

A

advisor10

JULY 23, 2001

DEAR MOMMYELAYNE:

Just being named as an executrix in someone else's will is not good enough. If you officially submitted his will to the probate court for processing in New York, then you should have received official papers (called "Letters Testamentary") that officially authorize you to act as executrix in claiming the assets.

If you showed them your letters testamentary, and they still want a letter from the court, then you need to contact the court directly. If you haven't yet received letters testamentary, then you need to get them.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">