• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift to grandchild; transfer of stock to grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

apfny

This issue involves laws in California:
her is the situation.
My mother in law and brother in law are owners of a savings account and some stock. Both are held as joint tenancy. My brother in law has irrevocable POA. My mother in law now wishes to transfer the stock to her grandchildren. I believe that the promary social security # is my mother-in-laws. She has asked that my brother in law do this . Is this possible and what is the law that governs this action ?

ALawyer

I have never heard of an irrevocable power of attorney, at least in personal situations.

Just get them to transfer the account or assets to the person who they want to give it to.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

A

apfny

Thank you for your prompt reply. I misunderstood the POA. I have heard that there is a number of years that assests must be transferred by the owner (the grandmother). If the owner dies before this number of years, there are all sorts of porblems. Can you clarify this rule?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">