• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Elaine11

What is the name of your state? Oregon
About 8 years ago, my elderly mother put her house in my name. She did not file a gift tax form. I am wondering now if she should still do that- and how is it done. She will not owe any gift tax, as the house is worth about $110,000, well under the unified credit amount.
Also, her assets total about 750,000, all of which she has put in joint ownership with me with right of survivorship. Will I have to pay any estate taxes in Oregon? (I know it has a lower allowance than the federal taxes)? thank you!

Dandy Don

This particular question cannot be answered on this board. You should consult a local CPA or tax preparation firm, or check out some tax preparation books from your library, or read the IRS booklets on this subject. There may even be some other income tax websites that could answer your question, including www.irs.gov.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">