• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Athena

My father recently inherited my grandparents' house. My husband & I have lived there for 3+ years, and plan to be here for at least 3 more. We would like to have the house transferred to us, but we're wondering about any gift tax or capital gains that we or my parents would have to pay. We live in Connecticut.

ALawyer

You father would be giving you HIS property.

Thus to the extent its value exceeds the $10,000 per person annual exclusion -- which could let him gift a total of $40,000 per year (assuming your father is married, and his wife goes along with the gift, and the gift was to you and your spouse) it would start to eat up his lifetime $675k exclusion from Estate and Gift tax.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">