• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lemonearth138

i reside in new york state. my mom and dad are deceased. 3 yrs prior to their death they sold their home, only asset, to their children, with lifetime residence. there are 4 children. dad died 1 yr after and mom last sept. 2001. the home was valued at 80,000 by a lawyer and the gift of 20,000 per child and spouse was agreed upon. january 2002 we sold the house for 76,000. my question - are the proceeds from the sale of the house still considered a gift from my mom and dad. We had to file tax information on the proceeds - 4 separate tax forms, at the closing. If this is still a gift tax issue do we file form 709 with the government this year or next? also i have not remarried and was not married at the time of the transfer of property to the children. if this is a gift tax issue can i give the portion for my spouse to my child?

jmh

ALawyer

Unless I am missing something, IF your parents total gifts during their lifetime PLUS the value of their estates at death did not exceed $675,000, there would be no gift tax or estate tax payable. The gift tax rules required ONLY reporting of gifts in excess of $10,000 per year per person (that's now up to $11,000 for 2002) but untilt the totla of such lifetime gifts over $10,000 exceeded $675,000 there would be no tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">