• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift tax benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarleneM

If I give my two adult sons $10K each does it reduce my taxable gross or net amount for the year? I am in Arizona, they are in California.

ALawyer

What? The gift does NOT come off your INCOME at all. The $10,000 is from your capital and to the extent it (and the total value of all other gifts you made to the same person during the calendar year) does not exceed $10,000 there is no need to file a gift tax return or take a charge against what will be (on 1/1/2002) a $1 million lifetime exclusion amount you can gift during your lifetime and/or leave by Will or Trust before estate and gift taxes are incurred.

M

MarleneM

GIFT TAX

[Thank you, I was hoping for some way to reduce my tax obligation and also help my sons out. Guess this is not the way to do it.

J

JeffreyHawkins

2 Questions:
1) Who is liable for the "Gift Tax" . . . the person giving the money, or the person receiving the money, . . . or both?
2) If a person receives $9999 cash as a gift in a given tax year, do they have to pay any taxes on that gift?
3) In terms of what constitutes "The tax year in which the gift was made" is it when the money is given (date of check) or when the money is deposited in the recipient's account? (Example, I wrote a $9999 check to my sister on 31 DEC 01, but it will not be deposited in her account until 3 JAN 02 . . . is this a gift in year 01 or year 02 for tax purposes?

Thank you!:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">