• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift tax: I am US citizen/resident and spouse is a foreignor/non-resident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LindaHar

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am a US citizen and resident of Florida. My spouse is a foreign citizen/non-resident. He wants to buy me an apartment complex in Florida. Will there be a gift tax? If he moves to the US in the future and I put his name on the title will there be a gift tax owed?
I am buying a home there, also, and will have my name on the title. Can I put his name on the title in the future without incurring a gift tax?
If I die with only my name on all the property and I leave everything to him, will he be allowed the estate tax credit even though he is a foreignor?
Can anyone think of a better way to own the property than what we have planned so that we can enjoy paying a minimum of taxes and so that we can avoid paying capital gains on my principal residence if I decide to sell?
Thanks,
Linda

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">