• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift taxes law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tony999

State of California

My parents are giving me $40,000 for a down payment on a home.

I understand that $20,000 falls under normal, tax free gift law, correct?

Do I understand this correctly:

The excess $20,000 has to be REPORTED, but it may NOT be taxed because it can fall under the "unified" tax law - that is, it will be included upon their death against their total estate tax exempt amount ($1million?)??
Or, any money they give me above the $20,000 (during one year)doesn't get taxed until it reaches that unified/estate limit and upon their death?

Please clarify. Thanks in advance for any information.

dmode101

Very close. The annual exclusion is now $11,000 for 2002. If your parents elect to do a "split gift" between themselves, then they can get 2 exclusions = $22,000. So the net taxable gift would be $18,000, but until the taxable gifts, lifetime or at death, reach $1,000,000 no tax would be due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">