• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good starting place to make a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swalsh411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Does anybody know of a good place to start to prepare a fairly simple (and hopefully low cost) will? I am pretty savvy so I would like to think I can do most of this without an attorney. I would need it to include a guardianship for our son. (at least I think that is what it is called). Are there websites that will provide a template and you provide the details?

Husband and wife, 1 child. No heath issues or reasons to think we may die soon but want to be prepared. Financially stable but not rich. Own home w/ mortgage. We have already decided who will care for our son if we both die. (and they know what they are agreeing to).

swalsh411

Nobody is able to offer any advice on this? I just would like a few tips on how to start the process to make a simple will. There are thousands of google results for this but I cannot separate the wheat from the chaff.

las365

Nolo and Legal Zoom are two pretty well known sources. I haven't used them or seen any documents from them, so I don't know price or quality. I believe that the semi-DIY document assembly services use the same standard templates. In other words, you would probably get a similar product from any of them.

Since you want to make arrangements that include guardianship of your kids, you would probably benefit from some advice from an attorney. I mean, you can say what you would like to have happen and authorize the willing to do what you would like for them to do, but you can't be guaranteed that what you want to happen would happen if you die while your children are minors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">