• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gramdma's wishes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimbe1

This involves a farm in West Virginia. Several years ago my grandmother told me she was leaving it to me. She even had me take her to her safe deposit box to retrive the deed and drop it off with the attorney who was working up her will. She knew I was the only living male who cared about the land and knew I would not sell it. Her oldest son, my father, left when he was seventeen and never had any interest in it. When she named me in the will, he convinced her that his two sisters would probably try to contest it and told her if she put it in his name, he'd pay the taxes and when she died, he'd give it to me. She died a year ago and I have never questioned him about turning it over out of respect for his grief and because I trusted him to do the right thing in time. Now he plans to sell it and split the money with his sisters and maybe I'll get a share of his. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!!!! It has to do with the promise he made to his mother and the fact that she wanted me to keep it in the family. What recourse do I have???? I live in Ohio and will retire in 8 years. I had planned to move there and leave it to my grandson. If he and his sisters sell it before I can protect my interest, is there any legal grounds for suing them? I am not spiteful and no amount of money will replace the land thats been in the family for close to eighty years, but I am heartsick that they would dispose of it and feel they deserve some sort of wakeup call about whats important. If money means that much to them, then maybe losing some would teach them a lesson.

ALawyer

My sense is that he owns it and his oral promises are not worth much --- like the paper they are not printed on. I doubt you'd prevail, but heck, maybe there is something written or your state law is different. YOU could try to buy it from him at fair market value if it means that much to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">