• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather doesn't want inheritance from passed wife.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tearl42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi there,

I'm posting this question for my grandfather who doesn't have a computer. About a month ago, my grandmother passed away. Her will states that 50% of her estate goes to my grandfather, 25% to my mother and 25% to my uncle. My grandfather does not want any of this inheritance. He has a lawsuit pending against him and believes that if the plaintiff (or their lawyers) find out that he has received it they will go after that money too.

What are his options? If you inherit money while in the middle of another lawsuit can the plaintiff go after that money? Can he just refuse to take the inheritance?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

anteater

Grandfather should discuss the possibility of disclaiming his interest in the estate with a probate attorney.

im an only child who chose to live with my dad (many moons ago) yet my biological mother still has me listed in her will to inherit about $98,000 which i refuse to accept come the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">