• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather victim to executor. What now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlippinD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My Grandfather died last year after being killed by my cousin, who was executor of his estate. He is facing life in prison, therefore is no longer executor, correct?

The main issue is, the house was left to myself and my two cousins, one of which is in jail for killing the person we inherited the house from. Since his death, I have been the one to take care of the house, pay for repairs, and pay the taxes on the house to keep them up-to-date.

My remaining cousin that is not imprisoned and his mom are fighting to solely own the house, on the terms of the executor being imprisoned. She claims when an executor is unable to handle the estate, the house and all of the items listed on the will are left to the oldest remaining child. She already inherited a different house from him, which she sold.

Also, the will has not been probated due to the executors imprisonment.

What are my options? Do me and my remaining cousins inherit the house still?

anteater

Your cousin's mother has no idea what she is talking about.

Find an experienced (very experienced) probate attorney and file to open probate and for appointment as executor, if necessary, petitioning the court to compel production of the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">