• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather willing estate to minor child.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Understand though that you are not due ANYTHING from your father. He can legally not leave you a dime.

farmersson

Understand though that you are not due ANYTHING from your father. He can legally not leave you a dime.
Yes, I understand this is a fact. However, his father bought that farm, as well as leaving my dad a large portion of his own personal monetary value today. I've spent my life working on that farm and have spilled much blood and sweat over the years, even into my adult years up to the present, without so much as a penny paid for my time and labor. Both my father and grandfather used to pat me on the back after a hard day's work, tell me what a great job I did and follow-up with, "it will all be worth it, because one day, this will be yours". What a cruel ending for all of that, if I'm not able to remedy this. That farm is "home" for me, and it will break my heart to lose it. Don't misunderstand my perspective here, I'm not a careless, greedy, negligent son who just wants for property and cash for superficial reasons. But you're right, he doesn't legally owe me a damned thing.

I must add...I don't think this situation has come about because he doesn't want me to have the farm. It came about by his own negligence and myopic vision. His resistance to change this will today is most likely because of his pride. How dare I suggest he's made even one mistake?

Last edited:

Silverplum

Yes, I understand this is a fact. However, his father bought that farm, as well as leaving my dad a large portion of his own personal monetary value today. I've spent my life working on that farm and have spilled much blood and sweat over the years, even into my adult years up to the present, without so much as a penny paid for my time and labor. Both my father and grandfather used to pat me on the back after a hard day's work, tell me what a great job I did and follow-up with, "it will all be worth it, because one day, this will be yours". What a cruel ending for all of that, if I'm not able to remedy this. That farm is "home" for me, and it will break my heart to lose it. Don't misunderstand my perspective here, I'm not a careless, greedy, negligent son who just wants for property and cash for superficial reasons. But you're right, he doesn't legally owe me a damned thing.

I must add...I don't think this situation has come about because he doesn't want me to have the farm. It came about by his own negligence and myopic vision. His resistance to change this will today is most likely because of his pride. How dare I suggest he's made even one mistake?
Your description matches precisely what I gathered of your situation and character, and I daresay many/most/all of the other responders thought the same. :) Ohiogal is an attorney, and though I am not her spokesperson, I know her well enough to think she was making sure you had all the facts.

I don't want you to lose your home, either, and farming is very close to my heart. Keep on doing what is right. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">