• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma's Will - do I have a leg to stand on?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jonesy

My grandmother died recently (grandpa died years ago) and my Aunt says that she left nothing in her will except to her and her sister (both my aunts). It is important to note that my father (grandma's son) is deceased, and has been for twenty years. I am his only heir. Even if not named in my grandmother's will, am I not legally deserving of a third of the estate? I read somewhere that most states have laws -- called "pretermitted heir" statutes -- to protect children of any age from being accidentally disinherited. Furthermore, in some states, these laws apply not only to your children, but also to any of your grandchildren by a child who has died. We are in Oklahoma- just don't know where to look to find details on this. TIA for any help.

ALawyer

First place to look is in the Will itself.

If the Will mentioned you or your father you are likely out of luck. If it did not, you MAY have a leg to stand on.

You should find the Will on file at the Court in the county where the deceased lived.

J

Jonesy

Approximately how long does it take for the will to be on record at the courthouse? Also, do you know anything about the pretermitted heir statute?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">