• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmas Will/Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goldiedog

ok-my sister has power of attorney over our grandmother. She has discovered copies of two wills. One in 1998 and one in 1999. We are considering contesting the 1999 will and petitioning the 1998 will stand. My questions are:

1. dowe as grandchildren have a right to do that. mymother is alive and would support our efforts.

2. was it lawful for us to read the copies we found?

3. should we discuss our conerns with our grandmother and her attorney before seeking a 3rd party?

4. the second will seems incomplete, doesn't mention all of her assessts. both wills were drafted by some attorney. something seems wrong. is this a reason to contest?

dmode101

What would your basis for contesting the 1999 Will? There is no need for a will to mention any assets. It is sufficent for the will to merely state among whom the residuary estate should be divided. If the will failed to even do this, then it may be defective. There are other reasons to invalidate a will, including lack of propert attestation, incapacity or undue influence. If you are considering contesting the will I recommend that you talk to your own attorney, separate from your grandmother's. Good luck.

G

goldiedog

thx for your reply. the for contesting is that in 1999 my grandmother went from leaving everything to her daughter and 4 grandchildren, split 5 ways to leaving everthing except one piece of property to a church.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">