• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandmother deceased and no will (property)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stantall

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My grandma died quite a few years ago and had left no will for her estate. The only thing left now is a home, because the other property was "stolen" by other family members. My mother is the only sibling of 5 that has even been seen or heard from since about a month after the death of her. On the last time we spoke 2 uncles said they wanted nothing and for my mother to take the house and disappeared, the only sister to my mother is the family member that stole property inside the house, and the other uncle was in prison in Ohio last I heard. One of the 2 uncles is deceased now and still no contact from anyone else. The home was in my grandma's name only and my mother has had her name added to the county tax statement's that are paid every year, that I pay every year! No one ever petitioned for power of attorney because of financial reasons. So my question now is, with my mother willing to sign any part of the property in which she is inherited over to me since I am living in the home and have been for 14 years, what could I do to transfer the deed to my name? And would a public ad in the paper be smart to do to give notice to anyone pertaining to the property?

BelizeBreeze

Find a real estate attorney and file for adverse possession under NC General Statutes 1-38. Seven years possession under color of title.

stantall

Ok, I talked to a couple of lawyers today and they told me I could not use the 7 year adverse possession law to my favor. Basically they told me that with the situation as it is, I would have to do some kind of petition in which then the home would be sold at public auction. I do not understand that at all! Why would I have to buy a home that was in my family and I have lived in over 3/4 of my life off and on!! It was my grandma's house, I have been living here quite a while, and no other family has stepped up to claim this. What can I do? Could I or my Mother (grandma's daughter) take title to the house another way, say taking it as unclaimed property? Someone please help me get on the right track....OH, this is is North Carolina

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

stantall said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My grandma died quite a few years ago and had left no will for her estate. The only thing left now is a home, because the other property was "stolen" by other family members. My mother is the only sibling of 5 that has even been seen or heard from since about a month after the death of her. On the last time we spoke 2 uncles said they wanted nothing and for my mother to take the house and disappeared, the only sister to my mother is the family member that stole property inside the house, and the other uncle was in prison in Ohio last I heard. One of the 2 uncles is deceased now and still no contact from anyone else. The home was in my grandma's name only and my mother has had her name added to the county tax statement's that are paid every year, that I pay every year! No one ever petitioned for power of attorney because of financial reasons. So my question now is, with my mother willing to sign any part of the property in which she is inherited over to me since I am living in the home and have been for 14 years, what could I do to transfer the deed to my name? And would a public ad in the paper be smart to do to give notice to anyone pertaining to the property?

Since grandma did not write a will, that meant she intended everything to go by intestate succession (see below) and that statute tells you who owns the property (mixed, real, or personal) today:

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_NC.asp

North Carolina Intestate Succession Laws

If any part of a North Carolina decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

* A surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate (both real and personal property) if the decedent is not survived by a child, a lineal descendant of a deceased child, or a parent.
* If the decedent is survived by only one child or by any lineal descendant of only one deceased child, the surviving spouse gets an undivided one-half interest in the real property of intestate estate, plus the first $30,000 of personal property and one-half of the remaining personal property in the intestate estate.
* If the decedent is survived by two or more children, or by the lineal descendants of deceased children, the surviving spouse gets an undivided one-third interest in the real property of intestate estate, plus the first $30,000 of personal property and one-third of the remaining personal property in the intestate estate.
* If the decedent is not survived by children or their lineal descendants, but is survived by at least one parent, the surviving spouse gets an undivided one-half interest in the real property of intestate estate, plus the first $50,000 of personal property and one-half of the remaining personal property in the intestate estate.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to:

1. Decedent's children or the lineal descendants of a deceased child.
2. Decedent's parent or parents equally.
3. Decedent's brothers and sisters or the lineal descendants of a deceased sibling.
4. If none of the above relatives are available, but the decedent is survived by one or more grandparents or issue of grandparents (e.g., decedent's aunts and uncles), half of the estate passes to the paternal grandparents if both survive, or to the surviving paternal grandparent or to the issue of the paternal grandparents if both are deceased. The other half passes to the maternal relatives in the same manner. If there is no surviving grandparent or issue of grandparent on either the paternal or maternal side, the entire estate passes to the relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half portion would.

3. State of North Carolina. If there is no taker under any of the above provisions, the intestate estate passes (escheats) to the state of North Carolina.

North Carolina Intestate Succession Law Fun Facts

* Relatives of the half blood inherit the same share they would inherit if they were of the whole blood.
* Lineal descendants and other relatives of the decedent born within 10 lunar months after decedent's death inherit as if they were born during decedent's lifetime.
* Evildoers take note! Whether or not there is a will, any person who murders or participates in the murder of the decedent is prohibited by law from receiving any of decedent's assets. The murderer is treated as if he or she had predeceased the murdered decedent.
* North Carolina's intestate succession laws can be found in Chapter 29 of the North Carolina General Statutes.

Copyright 2002 - 2005, CCH Tax and Accounting - A WoltersKluwer Company. All Rights Reserved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">