• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother and father have passed. No will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeMay215

Pennsylvania.

My father passed on Jan 2015. Grandmother passed Oct 2015. Myou father has 2 siblings who are handling her estate as she left no will. They are saying that they wI'll give us " something " when they sell her asetts. I believe that me and my siblings are entitled to 1/3 of the estate divided among us. What would have been my father's share, through intestate. Is this correct or are the remaining two siblings in complete control of the money and the only ones with the right to inherit.

They all also claim they want to put some money in a "trust" for us. I am grown and own a business [email protected] and wish to receive my share cash. Please help. Thank you

MikeMay215

My father also left no will and that is an issue all in its own. Please disregard that email address in the post as it was a mistake.

Dandy Don

There is no "father's share" since he is deceased. Father's estate and mother's estate are two different estates that will be managed separately and independently of each other.

Whoever has been designated by the court as administrator is the person who will be deciding how the estate is distributed, according to law. Yes, you will probably be receiving 1/3 if that is what the law states.

If you were notified by mail that this estate was being probated, then you will receive your share when probate is over. If you were not notified by mail about this estate, then go to the courthouse (or order copies of every page in the probate file by mail) to look at the paperwork to see if your name was listed, somewhere in the paperwork, as an eligible heir.

You can edit your posting to take the email address out by logging in again to the site as if you were going to reply, and if you go to the section where your email address appears, click "EDIT" on the bottom of the posting and you will be able to erase that portion of the message.

If you do not want your share of the money put into a trust, then you need to let the administrator know that, either verbally or by letter. First you need to ask if there is a trust document that instructs them to put money into a trust--if there is no trust, then it is perfectly okay for you to say that you don't want your money put into a trust. At any time if you have doubts about what you are being told by an administrator, you will want to get your questions answered by consulting with your own probate attorney.

Last edited:

MikeMay215

My question is about the grandmother's estate. Since my father died before she did are his heirs entitled to the same share as his serving siblings in pennsylvania?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">