• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunflower Gal

My father's mother passed away in Kansas, and my father passed away many years before. Grandmother has two surviving daughters who are taking care of the estate. They have selected a number of heirlooms they will keep, (and therefore will pass on to their heirs in time). But the children of Grandmother's two deceased sons, (one being my dad), are not allowed any inheritance, and we must go to the estate sale to bid against antique dealers for momentos of my Grandmother.

I'm not sure if there was a will, all I know is, before she died, Grandma signed some paper saying her property transfered to my Aunts. Two months after Grandmother's death the Aunts did let their own children, along with all the grandchildren, pick out a few nicknacks, needlework and such.

Question: if the estate were in probate, could they give stuff away two months after death? Or if there were no will, would the surviving heirs receive a share? Or, is there some other legal device that allows the Aunts to control the estate without a will?

I cannot ask my Aunts about it because I will be seen as causing trouble, or greedy or someother wickedness. The Aunts are only doing what they see as fair. Also, I live in another state, so looking up records is difficult, and I don't know where to look anyway.

Thank you,
Sunflower Gal

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">