• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmothers house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Imbertie

My grandmother passed away in May of this year. Up until she died, my mother had taken care of her and lived with her for the past several years. No one else except me ever came around to help. It was my grandmothers intention to leave her house to my sister and my mother was to live in it for the rest of her life. Somehow though, the Will was worded wrong, so my mom's brothers and sisters contested it and now one of her brothers who lives in Texas is appointed executor (my mother never agreed to this) and they plan to sell the house and divide up the money. They are telling my mother that she has to get out of the house now and are threatening to have the real estate people haul of whatever she has in the house off to the dump if she doesn't get it out. Shouldn't she be able to live there at least until they sell it? And shouldn't she have the option to purchase out of her share? What are her rights and what can she do?

ALawyer

No, she has ONLY what rights the courts say she does, and that may not be the right to stay there because she claims that's what Grandma wanted.

You mother had best have a lawyer advise her or she will be really out of luck, and alienate the family. A lawyer might get her the right to put it up for auction and bid on the property. That one person was made executor does not end the matter, and there are many other rights your mother has, including the right to appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">