• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmothers Living Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dzbkx4

My grandmother recently had a surgical procedure done and something went wrong during the procedure and she stopped breathing. The doctors were able to perform CPR and revive her but now they have labeled her as severely braindamaged and she is basically being kept alive by the respirator. My aunts did not make the doctors aware of my grandmother living will. Her living will states: "no machines, no feeding tubes, and drugs to make me comfortable." The doctors are now going to perform a "trach" procedure to make her more comfortable - which then basically she will be moved to a nursing home to live the rest of her life on a machine. I am being told by my family that it is too late to produce the living will - that the doctor says it does not matter. Can this be true? Is there anything that I can do? This is not what my grandmother wanted - she signed the living will back in 1982. She can sometimes smile and it seems at times that she does recognize some of the family members, however not consistently but that is about the extent of her functions for now. There is a chance she may recover but to be honest the doctors still don't know what happened that caused her to stop breathing. Does my family have this right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">