• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmothers Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keedo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Good evening,

I will try to be as clear as possible for your understanding. I will make a short list in order of events then a deeper description of each.

My name is Keith, I am now 23 years old.
My Parents split when I was in 2nd grade.
My Father moved into my grandmothers house to help aid her health problems.
Couple years after that my grandmother passed away. Since then, until his passing, my father lived in her house.
My father passed away last year.
Now waiting on disbursement of the trust.

When my parents split my father moved into his mothers house. Before my grandmother passed she made a trust with 2 of her children. 1 of them has passed. The trust was supposed to be divided when she passed but since my father was living at her estate it was never done.

Since his passing, I inherit all of his belongings and possessions. I do not inherit the property because it was my grandmothers and that is split up between her children, I just get my fathers share. Since the only one that help set up the trust is handling it, I have no information on what is going on and how much I am suppose to be getting. I am not okay with not knowing, and it has been a year and I just got something. I am patient and have not rushed the process.

I received a check in the mail regarding the trust. The memo read "Partial Trust Disbursement" The amount is less than what it should be in total. Please note that this is the first form of communication or notice in any way shape or form since we saw each-other a year ago when my father passed.

I was wondering if I am allowed to cash the check / put it in the bank without jeopardizing further payments. I have no way of getting in contact with my Aunt, nor do I know where she lives. All I know is that she lives in MN (the person handling the trust disbursement) I only have her attorneys contact information.

Please share any advice you might have. If I left anything out, or if you need to know anything else please let me know. I should be able to respond fairly quickly unless I am sleeping.

Thank you,
Keith

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Good evening,

I will try to be as clear as possible for your understanding. I will make a short list in order of events then a deeper description of each.

My name is Keith, I am now 23 years old.
My Parents split when I was in 2nd grade.
My Father moved into my grandmothers house to help aid her health problems.
Couple years after that my grandmother passed away. Since then, until his passing, my father lived in her house.
My father passed away last year.
Now waiting on disbursement of the trust.

When my parents split my father moved into his mothers house. Before my grandmother passed she made a trust with 2 of her children. 1 of them has passed. The trust was supposed to be divided when she passed but since my father was living at her estate it was never done.

Since his passing, I inherit all of his belongings and possessions. I do not inherit the property because it was my grandmothers and that is split up between her children, I just get my fathers share. Since the only one that help set up the trust is handling it, I have no information on what is going on and how much I am suppose to be getting. I am not okay with not knowing, and it has been a year and I just got something. I am patient and have not rushed the process.

I received a check in the mail regarding the trust. The memo read "Partial Trust Disbursement" The amount is less than what it should be in total. Please note that this is the first form of communication or notice in any way shape or form since we saw each-other a year ago when my father passed.

I was wondering if I am allowed to cash the check / put it in the bank without jeopardizing further payments. I have no way of getting in contact with my Aunt, nor do I know where she lives. All I know is that she lives in MN (the person handling the trust disbursement) I only have her attorneys contact information.

Please share any advice you might have. If I left anything out, or if you need to know anything else please let me know. I should be able to respond fairly quickly unless I am sleeping.

Thank you,
Keith
Of course you can safely cash the check. It says "partial trust disbursement".

Dandy Don

Yes, it's okay for you to cash the check and you will be receiving more money in the future. If the trust was created in Illinois, then you need to have a consultation with a trust attorney who practices in any city/county in Illinois (an attorney in your city would be just fine) to answer your questions and represent you whenever necessary to guide you through the sometimes confusing process of dealing with a trust. You will want to ask him: "Does Illinois trust law allow for a trust beneficiary to ask in writing for a copy of the trust from the trustee? And a copy of the accounting statements for each year the trust has been in existence?" If so, then your attorney can write the letter on your behalf and after you have received the financial information regarding this trust you will know better how to proceed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">