• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother's will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nads

What is the name of your state? New York state

My grandmother is very old and may soon pass away. I was wondering what would happen if she died in testate? She has one daughter, my mother. Would I be entittled to any part of the inheritance? Is there a nominal percentage?
She may in fact have made a will, in which case she may have included myself. If she hasn't could I contest the will so that I can be included? If she has included me but with not as much as I would like, could I do something about it?

divgradcurl

I was wondering what would happen if she died in testate? She has one daughter, my mother. Would I be entittled to any part of the inheritance? Is there a nominal percentage?
If she dies intestate, your mom will get her estate -- not you. If your mom was dead, then you (and your siblings) would be the beneficiaries.

She may in fact have made a will, in which case she may have included myself. If she hasn't could I contest the will so that I can be included?
You are kidding, right? It's HER will, it's HER money, you have no right to tell her what she can and cannot do with HER money.

If she has included me but with not as much as I would like, could I do something about it?
See above.

I am assuming that this post is a joke. If it is not, I hope that someone can figure out who the hell you are, and let your Grandmother know what a loving, caring grandkid -- strike that, I mean, greedy grandkid -- you really are.

And the point I made about "if your mom was dead," well, I meant that as a hypothetical, not as a suggestion...

S

seniorjudge

Q: I was wondering what would happen if she died in testate?

A: http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_NY.asp

Q: Would I be entittled to any part of the inheritance? Is there a nominal percentage?

A: See link in first answer.

Q: If she hasn't could I contest the will so that I can be included?

A: Only if you can prove she was falsely induced into making the will; this is very hard to do.

Q: If she has included me but with not as much as I would like, could I do something about it?

A: No.

Dandy Don

Don't be so hard on the young lady--it's only natural to expect that a grandparent might leave a bequest for a grandchild.

divgradcurl

Don't be so hard on the young lady--it's only natural to expect that a grandparent might leave a bequest for a grandchild.
Fine. But looking to contest if she doesn't? Or looking to contest if she does, but it "isn't enough?" That's not a simple question about what happens if she dies intestate -- that's a question of how do I get what I think is my fair share of grammy's loot...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">