• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texas5401

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. My grandmother passed away in Oct 2007 and left a will. Also before passing she told me that she was leaving me the house that I grew up in. My aunt was left in charge of the will. Is there a time frame or limit that the will must be read? The attorney that was helping my grandmother had to come to her home for the last few visits cause she was bed ridden from cancer. How can I find out the attorney/ lawyer that has my grandmother's will? I am the oldest grandchild and just would like to know what she intended for me to have or not to have. Just do not know why my aunt will not have the reading done..

anteater

A "reading" of the will is not required. But, if the will was submitted for probate and you were a beneficiary, you should have received notification.

(Texas allows 4 years form the date of death for the will to be submitted and probate opened.)

Check with the county courthouse in the county in which your grandmother resided to see if a probate case has been opened. If it has, the information is publicly available.

If not, it's more difficult. Ask some of your relatives if they know what happened with your grandmother's estate. Ask if they know the attorney that she used. The attorney does not have an obligation to reveal information to you, but might.

Worst case, and you are willing to undertake the effort, you could file to open probate and ask the court to compel production of the will.

Also, check at the county courthouse to see how title to the home was held.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">