• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents died I can't afford probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmoton

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My grandparents raised me as their child, but when they got sick I started taking care of them. Grandma died 5yrs ago and Grandpa died last week. My grandparents both assured me and the family that I was to get the house (the only asset they had), however I never wanted to pressure them into signing anything. They have 2 kids, my dad (in prison) and my uncle ( a drunk), but both of them are willing to relinquish any claims, because of the wishes of my grandparents and me taking care of them.

I just seen a lawyer and I can't afford it (1,500 retainer plus fees). I spent all my extra money buring my grandfather. Please help me..

Can I avoid probate???....There are so many witnesses that knew my grandparents wanted me to have their property.

Tammy

Dandy Don

What is the value of the home? Find out at the county courthouse probate court what the minimum amount of estate value must be before probate is required. It is possible that the value of your estate may require that simplified probate process be done for simpler estates.

Probate is needed just for the fact of establishing the official heirs and getting their names added to the deed.

You need to be talking to more than 1 probate attorney--surely there are others in the area who would do it for less than $1500.00.

T

tmoton

Do I have to go through probate???

Thanks so much for your response.. The property is valued between 50-65,000 (old house).

I live in Maricopa County in Phoenix Arizona

There are no creditors or anyone to contest it, but all of these lawyers want between 1000 and 1500, just as a retainer fee.

Can I do this myself, without a lawyer???

Is there a probate kit or something???

Dandy Don

Check at the courthouse first to see if a simplified probate procedure form is available, in which case you can probably do it yourself.

C

coosi

The forms are available on line I think at "Maricopa County Superior Court". It's called "informal probate". A search using those terms should do it.

T

tmoton

PROBATE........

Thank you Dandy Don and Coosi.

I really appreciate your help and I plan on going to the courthouse tomorrow to see if I can get those forms for a
simplified probate.

It's nice to know there are other options out there.

Tammy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">