• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grant Deed and Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2jerrys

We live in California and we purchased a house from my mother so that she would have money to live on. I have a grant deed with my wife and I as joint tennants. Mom has no other assets. If she passes away will the house have to go through probate, less than $15,000 is owed.
Also when the house is paid for we plan on continuing the payments as she needs it. We do not want her to know we are doing that. How can I avoid probate ? With a grant deed do I need to do anything ? Thanks Jerry

ALawyer

First, if she gave you a deed, and it was notarized, you should have the deed filed and recorded. That transfers title to the property to your name. If she did not, or there was a proplem with the deed, you'd have to go thru probate, or simplified probate.

One more thing. If you mother has been getting MedicAid - MediCal - her estate would owe the state at her death to the extent she had assets. If she gave you property, the state may come after you for its value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">