• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Great grandmother at risk over car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rtdubz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Problem: Great Grandmother wants to put car title in her name so she can own the car and insurance and what not, My aunt has the title and will not surrender it to her.

Circumstance:
Grandfather's sister died, great aunt(his sister) gave her car and title to grandfather. Grandfather became very ill and sick (cancer). Somehow aunt(his daughter) took the title even though the car was given to him. He was too sick to do anything and on his deathbed for nearly 3 months. Great grandmother(his mother) was his only caretaker for that time. He gave her the car so she would be able to get around (he was formerly the mobile one of the household) even my aunt would not come to see him, only took the title. He has now passed and my great grandmother was trying to put it in her name and the aunt refuses to give her the title because she think my great grandmother is "senile" but over 20 people who regularly visit her can vouch she is not crazy and that grandfather gave her the car completely. He had no will so the aunt cannot claim his will vouched for her claim to the car. He lived in great grandmothers house and shared all possessions with great grandmother.

How do I go about getting the title from my crazy aunt trying to ruin the last few years my great grandmother has left?

Thank you
Trey

justalayman

Has his estate been through probate of any sort?

A physical title is merely a piece of paper representing ownership. It doesn't mean anything more than that. The true owner can apply for a duplicate title but he is deceased. Through the process of probate the administrator of his estate can make a demand for the current certificate of title or simply apply for a new certificate of title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">