• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grieving girlfriend with no rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sandi kaden

Please advise. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia Pa.
My boyfriend passed away a week ago. Prior to that we lived in his house for almost 3 years together. The house was in his name, he had no will and the mortgage was not paid for almost 2 years, nor have any of his credit card or utility bills been paid since he has been sick. I began to move out in July of this year, but many of my things are still in his house. His family informed me yesterday that I am not allowed in the house without one of the family members being present. They have retained an attorney to handle his estate and his mother has been made executor. I've been told that everything in the house MUST be catalogued and that I may then take what is rightfully mine at that time. I need to find out if this is all true and if I need to retain counsel to protect my belongings. I do not have receipts for the things that are mine and the things we bought together that I plan to take, will this be a problem?
What if they contest to something I wish to take, is there anything I can do? I also do not understand why I am not allowed in the house when I am the only person who has a set of keys other than my boyfriend. I appreciate any/all advice as I am still grieving and not thinking clearly.
Thanks.

ALawyer

My sincere condolences.

Absent a Will, or another agreement that says whose is whose, this can get ugly, especially if you own truly valuable assets located there.

If he was wealthy and there are estate tax issues or he owned some very valuable assets, like a Monet painting, I can understand it, but if he did not pay mortgages, taxes or bills, I doubt that he had a taxable estate or valuable assets.
Household goods really are not worth much used.

It sounds to me as if the lawyer is used to handling big, taxable estates, and that's how those are often handled.

It probably won't get ugly as the items you most want are personal ones, or household stuff, and you'll agree on them. But try to keep it civil and if worst comes to worst, you'll file a claim with the executor for your belongings and possibly in the probate court, which will sort things out. You may need a lawyer if it goes downhill, but try to work it out.

Understand that they too are grieving and some people handle their own grief in a way that seems wierd to you (and me).

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">