• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GST and stock step-up's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostalot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Alabama

QT 1-- Upon death of 1 st spouse , stock held individually in deceased spouses name enters the trust and receives a step up ( I assume ) .
Trust language is as flexible as law allows and can be used by surviving spouse . Surviving spouse years later realizes stock has appreciated considerably and desires to withdraw stock without selling it , retitles it so that when survivor dies the stock can be stepped up again at their death...for the benefit of their children .

Can this be done ?
Must stock be sold instead ? for assets to come out ?

Qt 2-- Both spouses die and son is trustee of the GST . Am I correct that if stock remains within trust , it will not be stepped up at his death . But son sees the benefit of withdrawing stock , retitling it in his name and upon his death the stock is stepped up .

Am I dreaming ???

Thank YouWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">