• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardainship of Grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LisaK89

Recently my Grandmother has been diagnoised with Alzheimer's. She is no longer able to care for herself. I am currently seeking guardainship so that I may move her to a nursing home where she will be properly cared for. In the state of Ohio I know that the spouse (in this case deceased) and children are the next of kin for notification. Can you tell me if siblings are also considered next of kin and whether or not they must be notified of the guardainship hearing? Also, there are some members of the family who do not help take care of her, yet because she doesn't want to go to a nursing home they are fighting me on this. I'm only trying to do what is best for my Grandmother. Because some of them are her children if they just say "no" will that stop me from helping her? Thank you for your assistance.

ALawyer

This is the most difficult of all family issues.

There is often a point at which everyone agrees on the need for institutionalization and concludes that is in the best interests of your grandmother and the family.

Before that point reasonable people often differ. You are apparently somewhere before that point.

Instead of a family fight, I suggest a family meeting with a professional mediator. The mediator can be a lawyer, clergy, or perhaps best of all a threapist familiar with dealing with geriatric issues. The mediator will help you all come to a decision, guilt and repercussion free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">