• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom1816

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My kids each have a guardianship account. I really am not sure all the details of how they work. We have had them for 9 years. The bank said they were court protected and blocked. They said they would relaease the accounts and both the kids and I would have access to the accounts. This last April, the bank relaeased the accounts.

We used my 18 year olds to pay off her car, buy a computer, other misc things.

We used my 16 year old's for a car as well. Two actually - she wanted one, we bought it, she didn't like it. We then bought the one she really wanted with the plan that I would drive the one she didn't and we agreed that I would pay her account back for that one. That was in April.

We decided this last week to change banks. I thought the easiest way to do this was exactly how we did the car - to transfer the money into my checking account and write a check to her new account. The bank reversed that check, took the money back, put it in my checking account and froze my account and the two girls' accounts.

Someone I talked to said that I wasn't supposed to move the account and was wrong. Did I do something wrong and if so, now what?

I would never do anything wrong and my kids are fully aware of everything that goes on with those accounts - I hide nothing from them. Someone else told me that as long as the kids consented, the bank should not have frozen the accounts.

Can someone explain?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">