• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have an item delivered 15 years from now to my child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Murphy625

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have a two year old child and my life is going to be cut short (~2 years left) due to medical issues. I am producing a video disc that I want delivered upon my child's 16th birthday or around that time.

How should I go about achieving this and what kind of fee's should I expect to pay for this service?

Thank you,

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have a two year old child and my life is going to be cut short (~2 years left) due to medical issues. I am producing a video disc that I want delivered upon my child's 16th birthday or around that time.

How should I go about achieving this and what kind of fee's should I expect to pay for this service?

Thank you,
Technology may change a great deal in 14 years. You should have a player stored with the disc that will be able to play the disc.

Leaving it with the child's other parent is the best way to make it happen.

FlyingRon

The full up way would be to place it in trust to be distributed at the time you specify. An attorney can set this up (probably via a trust department at a bank).

If you've got family members you trust, you can also give (perhaps an extra copy) to them with the instructions to make sure your child gets it at the appropriate time.

TrustUser

it is nice that you are informing your child of something when you think that he/she is old enough to appreciate it

i might suggest that you think about some situations in which you would like the trustee to tell the child sooner, so that the trustee has some leeway - should he think it helpful or necessary to relay this to the child sooner than 16

TrustUser

Technology may change a great deal in 14 years. You should have a player stored with the disc that will be able to play the disc.

Leaving it with the child's other parent is the best way to make it happen.
you might want to add another one, just in case - parts for a 14-year old piece of technology may not be able to get !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">